Monday, September 14, 2020

Introducing Newark Neighborhood View – Let's Be Real, What Keeps Us Up At Night?

As many of you know, I am a Newarker. I was born and raised here. Many of you know me, understand the love I have for this City, and take pride that you know my failings and the real-life lessons I have learned, sometimes the hard way.

I was introduced to many of you through my Dad, through Cory, and when I first served as a young (very young) City Council member. 

Politics is no longer my purpose. I now put the energy I gave to City Hall towards my kids – and I am very proud of that fact. 

Parenthood has given me a sense of purpose. It has filled a void that I lacked when in public office and allowed me to finally embrace maturity. There are times when I take a step back from my daily life, and I am proud that the raw passion I once had has developed into something far more impactful – wisdom. 

During so many times these last few months, I have prayed, reflected, and worried. 

I have been worrying a lot lately. 

And as I have witnessed the effects of COVID, Lead, and racism, among other issues in our City this year, I have found myself more and more worried about our neighborhoods, our people, and our families. 

Perhaps these worries are just part of gaining wisdom and growing older, or maybe there is something else going on. Perhaps things genuinely are as bad, as scary, and as messed up as it seems to be. Perhaps it's time, considering all that is going on right now, to worry.

A great deal has been on my mind, a great deal I am worrying about, and after thinking about it over the summer, I decided to start a blog – and I have decided to share it with each of you. 

There is much that keeps us all up at night – and there is much for us to worry about – so many issues, concerns, and frustrations. To address what is on my mind, I have decided to begin communicating what I am seeing and hearing. I have created this blog to advocate – and at times, even to fight - for what I think is right. There is simply too much in my head right now that I need to share - and as I have talked to many of you, I know you feel the same.

Like the many other decisions I have made – in politics, parenthood, advocacy, and business, many of you have been with me through it all – and I wanted Newark to be a part of this next adventure. 

I hope you will stay with me and hear what I have to say in the coming days and weeks. 

You may agree. You may disagree. 

My words may encourage or inspire you to do more. This blog may educate you and help us build a broader conversation. 

Of course, it may also trigger you to unsubscribe as well, but I hope that is not the case. 

This blog is about my love of Newark. All of Newark is part of my family, and I chose to speak up because there are issues and ideas we need to talk about. There is pain happening that is affecting all of us right now – young and old. We need to admit it. We need to talk about it. And we need to find a way to go beyond coping and worrying – and start addressing it. 

Regardless of how you may interpret what I am doing, I wanted to welcome you to my blog either way, and I hope you will continue on this journey with me. 

Thank you for listening. And I look forward to getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zuckerberg's $100 Million Has Nothing on the Biden Stimulus Money – Tell Roger Leon it is Time for Newark to Get Ready!   Newark is in l...