Tuesday, October 6, 2020

REAL HEROES SHOW UP EVERYDAY FOR OUR CHILDREN WITH THE SUPERPOWER OF TEACHING!!!

Hearing the stories of first responders in the press, social media, and even in television ads is very moving for me. These stories touch my heart, and I often get emotional thinking about their sacrifice these last few month. These are the people on the front lines of the most difficult situations, risking everything to help all of us.

One of the things that weighs on me personally is whether just giving thanks is enough. The fact is, it's NOT.

Whether we are talking about EMTs, police, doctors, nurses, our country should be doing far more to support, protect, and pay them. However, as so many of us are just trying to make ends meet and our top priority is our kid's health – just saying thank you is an important start.

Like so many parents in Newark, I think it is important that we broaden who we view as first responders – and I don't think anyone will disagree when I suggest that NEWARK TEACHERS deserve our thanks and support as well.

Like our EMTs, police, doctors, and nurses, this new school year has shown so many of us that our teachers are also the real heroes of Newark.

Our teachers are not only teaching our kids, but they are parents as well.

Our teachers are not only teaching our kids, but they have the added burden of remaining safe and mindful of the many risks they face each day.

Most of all, by adapting to distance learning, our teachers have had to start from scratch and reimagine learning for their students, all with very little direction.

I would like us to do more for our teachers than say thank you. And I dream of a moment, hopefully, later in November, where we have leadership that can ensure our teachers are provided with needed safety materials and a plan that brings the support they so desperately need.

But for now, I would like to use this blog not just to say thank you, but to encourage more people to share their feelings.

Below is an open letter I drafted to teachers. It touches on some of the points I have been thinking about a lot lately.

I am not only posting this letter on my blog, but I am sending it to my kids' teachers and posting on social media. Maybe the words will inspire you to do the same. If it is easier, perhaps you can cut and paste parts of it, put it in your own voice, and use it yourself. The truth is that we need to do so much more to help and support our teachers, but maybe this is a good place to start:

Dear Newark Teachers,
Thank you for putting my child's interest above your own. For taking care of him during the day so I can work and pay my bills. Thank you for your dedication, for not leaving Newark behind and remaining a vital part of our community.

Over the last few months, I know that it has not been easy. I understand that the direction you have received from the federal government and the state is continuously changing. In some cases, what you hear from our leaders does not always make sense or is not consistent, but somehow you have preserved and remained focused on  your passion for our kids.

As the point of contact for so many Newark parents, you often had to bare the burden of our frustration, confusion, and the lack of information we have received. Your follow up, understanding, and communication since we first started remote learning has been incredible and has helped so many through such a challenging time.

I have three children in three different grade levels, and I am unsure where we would be about you.

I am saying thank you because you are a hero – and you deserve not only hero's pay, but support. We need to do more in providing our teachers with professional development and technological assistance. I also believe that educators should be given Fridays or some extra time off away from the camera to spend time with their family or get a moment to breathe.

As a parent, I promise to do more, to ensure you are treated like the hero you are, and that includes voting in November,

Thank you for all you do, every day.

Sincerely,
Oscar James, II

Newark, let's be real.

Teachers need more support during this time from all of us.

And just as teachers have been there for us, we need to step up and help as well.

I would be nothing without the support I get from my children's teachers and support staff. Lets all please think about going that extra step. And we can start by saying thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zuckerberg's $100 Million Has Nothing on the Biden Stimulus Money – Tell Roger Leon it is Time for Newark to Get Ready!   Newark is in l...